[tug-summer-of-code] Project idea: LaTeX3 "microkernel"

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:42:48 CET 2009

On 09/03/2009, at 12:54 AM, Jonathan Fine wrote:

>> But if you want to support LaTeX in MathTran in the near future
>> then LaTeX3 isn't the place to look (since backwards compatibility
>> is only a long term goal).
>
> If I create a secure subset of LaTeX that's incompatible with a
> subsequently produced LaTeX3 then they'll be a cost to pay.  Either
> the incompatibility remains (the users pay the cost) or we remove it
> (the developers pay the cost).

In this case I think you're sacrificing too much for a savings that
might not even be realised. If I asked you six months ago the same
questions (before there was any real work being done in the LaTeX3
code), would your answer have been the same? What if LaTeX3 never
ships? (Playing devil's advocate.)

Either way, LaTeX2e will be around for a *long time*. If LaTeX support
is often requested at MathTran HQ, I'd consider forgetting about
LaTeX3 until it appears.

> MathTran resources, like those for LaTeX3, are limited.

Indeed! Hence the GSoC mailing list :)

Will