[tug-summer-of-code] Project idea: LaTeX3 "microkernel"

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 13:23:52 CET 2009

On 08/03/2009, at 10:49 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Will Robertson wrote:
>> The current expl3 is set up to provide this already. There is an
>> option
>> when l3names is processed to remove all of the old TeX primitives
>> from
>> the user namespace; this automatically makes any documents processed
>> "secure", since users can't change catcodes and the only commands
>> provided to them are "document-level" macros.
>
> What about \ExplSyntaxOn?

Oh, er, if you were in a "safe" mode then this would be disabled :)

> My idea would be that a microkernel would start with things which seem
> most likely to survive (in concept, if not in implementation) from
> LaTeX2e to LaTeX3.

I agree with all the comments that you make. My only concern is that
there's lots of "invisible" stuff in LaTeX2e that would need porting
before these high level concepts would be possible (taking up most of
the time of the project), such as the NFSS and file handling and so
on. But maybe some of this could be pasted straight in from the 2e
kernel, to be selectively re-written as necessary by expl3 code?