[tug-summer-of-code] [Fwd: Re: A couple of project proposals]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 17 01:50:22 CET 2009

    True, no one has asked specifically for a symbol-search tool based on
    text recognition, but I still believe that such a tool would be great
    for the "my professor drew this symbol on the blackboard, and I want
    to typeset it in LaTeX" crowd.

FWIW, when talking with mathematicians, I have been asked several times
"what's the LaTeX for this symbol" (and they draw it on a piece of paper).
All I can do is point them to the symbol list.

So I think having an interactive tool would be very nice, and it should
go on the list.

karl

P.S. I also think it would be easiest to do as a server-side OCR thing
instead of with fancy browser-side stuff, but that'll be up to the
student and mentor when and if the time comes.