[tug-summer-of-code] A couple of project proposals

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Feb 15 00:00:46 CET 2009

>                                                                   Part
> of what makes a GSoC project successful is the student being invested in
> learning about the area.  If they can't be bothered to flesh out a
> project proposal, it's highly unlikely they'll succeed in writing any
> useful code.

  Indeed.  As a matter of fact, the concept is that the student will
write the actual proposal for the work he intends to do, not the mentor.
The "Ideas" list is there to provide some pointers to start with, and
also because there really need to be someone ready to mentor the student
on some general subject.

  Which also means that there's no real need for me to play with OCR
software for the moment and try to teach them to recognize letters used
for writing African languages, but I'm having a lot of fun :-)

> To sum up, your original paragraph written to the list, plus some of the
> subsequent details, looked pretty reasonable to me as an "idea".

  Agreed.

	Arthur