[pstricks] ps2pdf fails with PSTricks v2.48 on a file for which it worked with v2.47

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Thu Dec 5 05:46:00 CET 2013

Dear all,

(I am not subscribed to the list; I would appreciate it if you would
CC me if that is acceptable on this list.)

A file that used to compile with PSTricks v2.47 does not compile with
v2.48. By "compile" I mean that the following chain runs without
error:
latex myfile.tex && dvips myfile.dvi && ps2pdf myfile.ps

The command in the chain that fails is the ps2pdf. It fails with
"Error: /undefined in InitOL" (see the logs for more information).

I know nothing about PSTricks and have no idea whether this is a
poorly written LaTeX file, so I would appreciate any advice on where
the correct place to report the problem is. I looked in the changeLogs
and did not see any mention of something that was deprecated. I did
see "deleted the overlay stuff". Perhaps that is relevant?

I am on Ubuntu 13.10 with a manually installed and up-to-date TeX Live
2013 installation.

I noted the failure, reverted to the previous PSTricks version with
tlmgr, confirmed that it works there, upgraded again (the only change
being PSTricks) and reconfirmed the failure there.

Using git bisect terminology, the "good" TeX Live package revision is
32254 and the "bad" package revision is 32283.

I am unsure what the convention is for acceptable type and size of
attachments so I am attaching the ps2pdf output and the .tex file that
produced the behavior I described here.

In addition, below are links to intermediate and information files
from running the command specified above on the "good" and "bad"
package revisions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3ftefvwgn0c4t6/logs_bad.tar.gz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwn9f9jy5bz4ksg/logs_good.tar.gz

Please let me know if there's any other information that I could give
you or if it would be helpful for me to trim down the .tex file that
I'm sending to more of an MWE.

I would appreciate any advice on locating the source of the problem.

Finally, thank you for your work on PSTricks! It is much appreciated.

Best,

Scott