[pstricks] problem with aeb_pro (pdf animation)

Juergen Gilg gilg at acrotex.net
Wed Mar 21 00:22:34 CET 2012

Dear Carlo,
> I am not able! with all your suggests, I obtain a .pdf file in wich I
> have no animation, or all frames of the animation itself, like
> attachment...
i see the log file now is a DISTILLER log file -- so you seemed to have
had no problems with the latex run and dvips and distiller!!!

Next step is done!!!

Now open your Acrobat and do the shortcut Ctrl+J (this is the shortcut
for WINDOWS, look up for the adequate shortcut for a MAC) to open the
"JAVASCRIPT DEBUGGER" -- if this shortcut works, a new window will open.
Now copy and paste the following line into the last line within the JS
DEBUGGER:

app.getPath("user","javascript");

If you pasted the above line do an ENTER on your NUMERIC KEYPAD -- Not
the ENTER on your KEYBOARD. Then will appear the path to the JavaScripts
folder within Acrobat -- on my system it is:

/C/Users/Jürgen/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Acrobat/9.0/JavaScripts

Into the similar folder on your system, copy the following files:

(1) aeb.js -- you will find it in the AcroTeX basic package
(2) aeb_pro.js -- you will find it in the Aeb_pro package

If this is done, you installed the two packages completely.

What you always need to do when using aeb_pro:

When the PDF is produced by distiller you have to do a "save as" of the
pdf file in Acrobat to assure, that the necessary JavaScripts are SAVED
WITHIN THE PDF you generated. This can be done automatically in a next step.

Give me a sign, when you copied the two *.js files into the correct
folder of your Acrobat.

Now when this is done recompile your file to PDF, do a "save as" and
check if the animation runs.

Maybe you noticed  Alexander Grahn's "animate.sty" package. This is a
wonderful method to generate PDF animations as the name of the package
signalizes.
aeb_pro wasn't made for animations at all -- it was a package allowing
to use OCGs (PDF layers) and a JS made it possible to so generate some
animations.

animate.sty doesn't use OCGs -- it uses form fields which allow
wonderful frame rates (fast animations).

Comparing the resulting file size of the produced animat2.pdf with the
two different methods i get:

with animate.sty = 715 kB (no Acrobat needed)
with aeb_pro.sty = 478 kB (Acrobat needed)

It is up to you which method you like to use.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Jürgen