[pstricks] pst-solides3d very slow

Alan Ristow ristow at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 16:34:02 CET 2008

Martin Chicoine wrote:
> Bonjour Jean-Paul,
>
>>  > If no, is there any hope that it could be improved in the future?
>>
>> We have few ways to try. But it will be difficult to improved with
>> only postscript.
>>
>> With next version, it will be possible to write extern file. So you'll
>> could have some results faster (for ex-chaine_olympique, you have
>> actually 5 times the calcul of torus and 3 times the calcul of rotation).
>>
>> An other problem is to sort faces. It takes a very, very long time
>> with postscript.
>>

> Could it be done by an external program?

I haven't tried pst-solides3d yet (though I hope to shortly), but
pst-geo has similar issues with slow rendering. Rendering speed is
improved considerably by converting to PDF, though, so you might give
that a try if PDF conversion is an option for you. It appears to me that
the reasons for slow rendering might be different for pst-solides3d and
pst-geo, so I won't be surprised if it doesn't help, but it can't hurt
to try....

Alan