[pstricks] Re : Lines (curves) with gradient color...

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at fu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 10 10:44:22 CEST 2007

Werner Grundlingh wrote:
> The code below was sent by Manuel Luque roughly 2 months ago in reply
> to a question I had with colouring a line (or curve) with a gradient.
> Reading through the Postscript code I notice that the final line is
> made up of short 'strokes' of line segments, each a colour increment
> apart. This naive approach works, but clearly shows around (sharp)
> curve bends. Is there a better way to do this using postscript so that
> the resulting curve is smooth with colour changes? ...almost like
> plotting (say) 'plotpoints' of the actual curve that is clipped, each
> a colour increment apart?

in Manuels examples you have 1000 different colors for one line
and it is no problem to choose 5000 or more.

> Would this be a property that may be added in future
> releases/revisions to pst-slpe or pst-grad? The ideal, of course,
> would be to specify the options for a line (or parametric curve) using
> a similar notation as suggested by pst-slpe
>   fillstyle=slopes,slopecolors=0 1 1 1  1 0 0 0  2 1 1 1  3
> for example.

I cannot see the advantage in difference to Manuels code.  It is only
another color model with specific intermediate colors.
However, it should be no big deal to modify the code, if you
really need it.