[pstricks] Please help me draw this tree

Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali mmasroorali at cse.buet.ac.bd
Tue May 31 08:54:18 CEST 2005

Dear All,
I am drawing a tree diagram which is generated using a perl program.
The perl program (self developed) works all right and generates nice
trees (in LaTeX) which look more or less like genealogy trees. However,
since there too many levels and too many nodes, it ends up taking too
much space (some times larger than maxdimen provided by LaTeX!), and
hence becomes uncomprehensible.

I noticed that the tree has too much white space in it. The
specifications I am using are in the following line.

\usepackage{pst-tree}
\usepackage[paperwidth=\maxdim­en,paperheight=\maxdimen,dvips]{geometry}
\pagestyle{empty}
\def\Node#1{\TR[ref=1]{%
\psframebox{\parbox[c]{120.0mm}{\raggedright #1}}}}
\psset{xbbd=5.0mm,levelsep=130.0mm,angleB=-180,angleA=0,tree­mode=R}
\def\psedge{\ncangle}

Observing my tree diagram, I notice too much white space. However, if
it could be rearranged something like the following,

-AAAAAAAAAA
|-A111111111
|-A222222222
||-A21
-BBBBBBB

space utilization would have been better. I do not know whether the
above represents exactly what I want, but I want something like the
directory strucuture diagrams found in many OSs. Or it looks like the mailing
list trees with the horizontal and vertical lines at the left.

Since the tree is generated automatically, I can not explicitly draw
the lines and boxes. It appears that pstricks is the only solution. But
how do I configure pstree for this? I have seen the four examples at
http://tug.org/PSTricks/PSTricks.cgi?file=Examples/Genealogy/genealogy,
none of them were suitable for me.

Could you please point me in the right direction.

Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali
Professor
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh

Phone: 880 2 966 5650 (PABX)
FAX: 880 2 861 3026, 880 2 861 3046