[pstricks] Re: pstricks manual

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Wed Mar 5 00:59:19 CET 2003

>>>>> "Franco.Bagnoli" == Franco Bagnoli <franco.bagnoli at unifi.it> writes:

    Franco.Bagnoli> I know this is an old question, but I would like to have an hypertextual
    Franco.Bagnoli> pstricks manual, in pdf or latex+figures.

    Franco.Bagnoli> I tried to start from the old manual, but it is so contorted that it is
    Franco.Bagnoli> difficult even to compile it.

  There was recently a (very good!) project initiated in Germany to repackage
the PSTricks documentation, mixing the 0.93a and the so-called "beta"
documentations, correcting known typos, updating minor things which have
evolved in the 97 distribution, having a PDF output format with hyperlinks,
etc.

  The project seems in good state and I believe that the result will be
available in few months.

    Franco.Bagnoli> Moreover, I understand that pstricks is continuously evolving,

  (Fortunately!) no... I personally believe that stability is one of the most
important qualities of softwares (and TeX is of course one of the best
examples on this side). The core files of the PSTricks distribution are the
same since 1994, just repackaged in 1997. What has evolved, and that we can
hope continue to greatly evolve, are the specialized macro packages built
above the core files.

    Franco.Bagnoli> So, what about setting us a wiki site dedicated to pstricks documentation?
    Franco.Bagnoli> A wiki site is just a web site where pages can be edited withous knowing
    Franco.Bagnoli> html (by all or by registered users) and files can be attached to pages
    Franco.Bagnoli> like e-mail.

  I belong myself to the part of people (or generation of it?) who does not
really like interactivity and only believe on books and paper manuals, but
this is only a personal opinion and attitude. In any case, I am convainced
that all the means used to document good softwares like PSTricks, improve
knowledge and diffusion of them, help new or experienced users, goes in the
right direction. So, if there are some people who could work on such
initiative, it will be a good add-on!

D.G.