[protext] Problem adding ttf fonts to MikTex 2.9, using MFTI 0.60

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at fernuni-hagen.de
Wed Apr 13 11:49:59 CEST 2016

Hi,

Am 10.04.2016 um 00:46 schrieb George Stewart:
> I  just installed MikTeX v. 2.9

Ok.

> I have used MFTI 0.60 with older versions of MikTeX with no problem..

hmm, up to now i never heard from MFTI and also Google didn't found any
concerning results. Therefore i'm quit unsure if i can really help you
with your problem, but...

> MikTeX 2.9 did away with localtexmf and texmf directories. I tried to
> figure what to use for MikTeX base directory and MikTex local directory.

... you're right that MiKTeX stopped the direct support of the
localtexmf-directory. But its still rather easy to reconstruct. For
example, just create a directory c:\localtexmf on your system and copy
any data structure you need inside of it (like you are used from former
MiKTeX-versions).

Open 'MiKTeX 2.9' -> 'Maintenance' -> 'MiKTeX Settings' and add the new
localtexmf-directory via the 'Roots'-tab.

> I would appreciate your suggestions!

hmm, if your original problem is to use TrueType-Fonts with TeX
(regardless if you mean La- or PlainTeX), you should consider to use
XeTeX as alternative.

While XeTeX has the ability to use Open-/TrueType-Fonts systemwide
installed, it might be easier to use, compared to these ttf2afm-converters.

Good luck - Thomas