[protext] Installation

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Wed Sep 21 16:01:39 CEST 2011

Hi Brian,

Am 21.09.2011 10:55, schrieb Brian Housley:
> I have just re-installed ProText/Miktex from the "Tex Collection DVD
> 2011" and found the following:
>
> 1) it did not install GSscript nor GSview although I could install them
> myself from protext\gsv directory.

Thats right. Actually GSView and Ghostscript aren't "official" part of
ProTeXt anymore, because most people use PDFLaTeX directly. (In fact, if
someone really needs it, and has a deeper look into the directory
structure, as you did, ...)

> 2) I added my "d:\localtexmf" root to Miktex and found that it would not
> built the formats for (Pdf)tex or Latex. When I removed my
> "d:\localtexmf" (and added it again later) it did work!

hmm, it not quite clear to me, what you mean with that. The formats of
[PDF][La]TeX are build, the first time you try to compile a document,
which means they doesn't depend from a root-path.

Regards - Thomas