[protext] TexnicCenter - MiKTeX - package downloads

Mike Prager mike.prager at mhprager.com
Thu Apr 28 05:34:04 CEST 2011

Rhomas Feuerstack wrote on 4/26/2011 5:02 AM:
> Am 23.04.2011 09:15, schrieb Mike Prager:
>> I am wondering if there is any better work-around for the well-known
>> incompatibility when running these two excellent programs. I ask here
>> (if it's not obvious) because both are distributed as part of ProTeX.
>>
>> It seems that both packages are under active development, so I am
>> hopeful for a solution I have overlooked.
>
> hmm, it might have been really a better idea to ask the developers of
> TeXnicCenter directly. As ProTeXt's maintainer its more in my interest
> to bring those packages together, which work best in combination.
>
> Concerning to this, i'm not quite more happy with TeXnicCenter for a
> longer time, because beside the "GUI framework"-bug there are some
> more annoyances, which make me think about replacing TeXnicCenter by a
> different Editor in future releases:
>
> - The automatic detection of MiKTeX lacks in case MiKTeX is installed
> in the default directories. This occurs since MiKTeX 2.7
>
> - Until today TeXnicCenter doesn't support UTF-8-encoding, which makes
> it unusable with modern TeX-engines like XeTeX.
>
> - At least there doesn't seem to be a very active development. I've
> just noticed, that the version to download is still version
> 1StableRC1, which it was already in January 2009.
>
> So in my humble opinion, try using for example Texmaker
> (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) before squandering too much energy
> in TeXniccenter.
>
> Regards - Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you for the information.  I also noticed that TeXnicCenter has not
had any changes for over two years.

I tried TexMaker and liked it very much.  The fast automatic
configuration and the internal PDF viewer are great features. The only
shortcoming that I noticed was that the speller cannot add words to the
dictionary, nor can it be told to ignore words (like "Prager" or
"Feuerstack"). I also tried TexMakerX, which has those abilities, but I
didn't like the interface as much. Perhaps that would change if I used
it longer.

Either one might be a good candidate for ProTex.

Best wishes,
Mike