[protext] Directory problems: texmf-local, local repository files

jose ortiz jortiz978 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 3 02:27:56 CET 2010

Dear all
Thxs vm for your comments, but some doubts still remain.

As you've suggested, I've created a new 'local' directory:

                 C:\texmf-local

which has the main following subdirectories

                 C:\texmf-local\tex\latex
                        C:\texmf-local\tex\latex\base
                        C:\texmf-local\tex\latex\<packagename>
                 C:\texmf-local\bibtex
                 C:\texmf-local\dvi
                 C:\texmf-local\fonts

I've done this bcse in Table 5.1 from Peter Flynn's manual, it seems that
the different types of files (i.e., .tex, .sty, .cla, etc.) should be saved
in the appropriate folder. You can see his Table here:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/beginlatex/html/chapter5.html#ctan

Now I describe a typical example:

I try to download a package that contains all the pieces necessary to
construct a Thesis. Normally the files are of the following type: Thesis.tex
(the main one), .sty, .cls, .bib, .bst).

- QUESTION 1 ****************************************************

Should I put the different type of files in the right 'local' folder as
suggested by Peter Flynn' s table. In other words should I save the
different files as:

- .cls in C:\texmf-local\tex\base

- .sty in C:\texmf-local\tex\xxx

-  Thesis.tex in C:\texmf-local\tex\xxx or in a 'personal folder' ????

- .bib >>> in a 'personal folder'

- .bst in C:\texmf-local\bibtex\bst

by 'personal folder' I mean a folder where I download all the components.
by 'xxx' I denote the <packagename> notation used by Peter Flynn.

So my doubt is, should I follow all these steps, or could I just all the
files in 'personal folder' ?
(My feeling is that I should follow all these steps, right ?)

- QUESTION 2 *****************************************
 In case I follow the above steps, I understand that I need to add the
C:\texmf-local directory using the 'Root' under MikTeX> Settings; but ....

- Which Miktex Settings: 'Administrator' or the one without anything? I've
my own laptop.
- I've noticed that if I choose the 'Admin' Option, in the Roots label, the
root directories maintained by MikTex are
                   C:\Program Files\ Miktex 2.8 and
                   C:\Admin and Setting\ All Users\ Application
Data\Miktex\2.8

while if I choose the non-Admin option, I find the two additional
directories

                  C:\Admin and Setting\ Administrator\ Application
Data\Miktex\2.8
                  C:\Admin and Setting\ Administrator\ Local Settings\
Application Data\Miktex\2.8

is this the way it should be?
which option should I choose to add my local 'C:\texmf-local' directory.
in fact, I've added it using both options (Miktex Settings and Miktex
Settings (Admin), and I've realized the following: a) using the Admin option
I see a small window where different directories are read; using the other
option (non-Admin) this does not happen, b) after adding the C:\local-texmf
directory, I can see that if I launch again MikTex Settings (Admin), I can
see it in the Roots window, whereas when I launch MikTex Settings, it only
appears if I click the 'Show Miktex-maintained root directories. Is this
right?

- QUESTION 3 *************************************************

Following the brute-force approach of downloading all the files in some
ad-hoc personal folder, I've opened the main Thesis.tex , .sty and .cls
files with TexNicCenter.
I've built and run the main Thesis.tex files, obtaining some output.
Is there any distinct error message that would indicate me some problems
with the .sty, .cls,. .bib, .bst or other files that may be needed.
In other words, as I'm not sure if I need to ave all these files in the
right subdirectories in the C:\texmf-local directory, or just in one
personal folder where I save all the pieces together, if the later option is
wrong, then I'd like to know this is te problem: i.e., it is not acceptable
to save all the 'pieces' (Thesis.tex, .sty, .cls, .bib, .bst , ...)in one
ad-hoc folder and that's it (having to save 'each piece' in the right
subfolder in the directory C:\texmf-local that I've created for this
purpose)

Needless to say, many ths for your help.

Best rgds

Jose