[protext] issues with proTeXt installation on Windows 7

Elisabetta Gentile eg7 at njit.edu
Fri Nov 27 22:24:18 CET 2009

Dear All,

During the past few years I've been using various versions of proTeXt with
Windows XP and then with Vista without a problem.  Last week I have made the
transition to Windows 7 and ever since I haven't been able to get
TeXnicCenter to work right.

The version I have installed is ProTeXt-2.2.1-102109.  Installation goes
smoothly, except for the fact that my .tex files are matched with TeXworks
instead of TexnicCenter.

When I run TeXnicCenter for the first time, I go to Build --> Define Output
Profiles --> LaTex=>PDF click on the viewer tab, and I follow the
instructions for setup (DDE commands, etc).

When I try to generate a .pdf output file for any of my .tex files, I get
the following error message in Adobe Acrobat:

"acrobat could not open document.pdf because it is either not a supported
file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as
an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then print
the document to Adobe PDF"

Followed by an error message in TeXnicCenter
"[DocOpen("%bm.pdf")][FileOpen("%bm.pdf")]  Cannot execute the command"

What could it be? I would really appreciate your suggestions!

Regards,
Elisabetta Gentile