[protext] PDF demands

Ben jultus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 01:36:46 CET 2008

OK, so I'm trying to install ProTeXt. Or in fact I only need LaTeX,
but I understood that I then needed this huge package.
Now, I happen to really have a strong dislike for Adobe's monstrously
huge pdf-reader.
I use FoxIt pdf-reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/), so
why this weird requirement of commercial Adobe software I don't need?

Could someone tell me how to skip this nonsense and install without
being force-fed a ridiculous Adobe Acrobat monster?

It's bad enough that its footprint is the size of an entire CD (why,
by the way? OpenOffice.org's full install is only 110 MB..) but I
really refuse to install Adobe software in order to be able to start
installation for LaTeX.
And then to even have to join a mailinglist for just this 1 question.
Geez. Sorry to have to say this, but some software developers clearly
have their heads up their asses.

Thanks.