[protext] TeXnicCenter won't run output profile

Robert Björn robert.bjorn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 02:47:27 CEST 2007

Hi everyone!

I've just installed ProTeXt 2.0, following the installation guide to the
letter, with one exception: The TeXnicCenter wizard couldn't find its
required binary files directly in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5 (or similar),
I had to point it to C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\miktex\bin. Perhaps the
guide ought to be updated to reflect this.

In any case, when attempting to launch an output profile in TeXnicCenter, I
get the following error message from TeXnicCenter:

Output Profile: LaTeX => DVI
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\miktex\bin\latex.exe  Cannot execute the
command. Error: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

There are also a couple of unprintable characters sprinkled through the
error message. Other output profiles provide similar errors.

I have attempted to launch latex.exe from a prompt, using the same path as
TeXnicCenter is using, and the executable launches just fine so I think the
exe is fine.

However, since I installed ProText to reduce the pain of learning TeX and
installing the required components, I can't really trouble-shoot further
without assistance.

A quick google revealed several posts describing exactly the same problem on
various forms and web pages, but no solution in sight.

Any advice or insight would be highly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Robert