[protext] help: maketfm: No creation rule for font ptmb.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 11 02:26:48 CEST 2006

    ! Font \secfnt=ptmb at 12.0pt not leadable: Metric <TFM> file not found.

I have been told that MiKTeX (and hence proTeXt) does not include the
original PostScript tfm files like ptmb.tfm, ptmr.tfm, etc.  They are
virtual font (.vf)-based tfm files that were the original mechanism for
using PostScript fonts, done many years ago.

I don't know why they are not included.  Perhaps it would be good to ask
on the MiKTeX mailing list, if it's not a FAQ.

To be honest, I am not sure where they are available on CTAN (ctan.org),
but they must be there somewhere.

Meanwhile, if the document explicitly refers to ptmb, you might be able
to change it to ptmb8r and get ok results.

Sorry I can't help more.

Best,
Karl