[protext] Windows (XP) LaTex compilation

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Mon May 22 15:27:04 CEST 2006

Hi,

Fizuli Mamedov wrote:

>  I got some problems with downloading of the 'self-extracting image'
> file/folder (around 415 MB). Does this file have both LaTex and tex
> distribution system?

Exact. Normally you can regard TeX as a typesetting machine, while LaTeX
is a Macro-Package helping you to describe your typesetting wishes.

> I have LaTexMng (around 5 MB). But I do not get any
> outcome by clicking on dvipreview or pdf options in the process of
> compilation. It is possible that I do not have tex distribution
> (system).

I don't know LaTeXMng, but i'm afraid that you're right with your
assumption. Many distributors provide frontends for tex distributions
and regarding the given size of LaTeXMng (5 MB) seems to prove this. Und
normal circumstances a complete TeX-distribution is about 500 MB.

> I am new to the windows LaTex and I am not familiar with the
> compilation procedures (getting dvi, ps, pdf files). Could you please,
> tell me which files/folders I need to download from your web site for
> the minimum working LaTex?

Sorry, but the 415 MB of the self-extracting image is in fact the
minimum for installing a complete running TeX-system. In addition you'll
find some documents inside, explaining how the compilation procedures
will work.

Sincerely - Th. Feuerstack