[protext] installation error; Adobe Acrobat 7.0 freezes

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Thu May 4 08:25:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

M G (- at Princeton.EDU) wrote:

> I have downloaded the self-extracting image of proTeXt from http://www.tug.org/protext/ftp/protext.exe, saved it to my harddrive, and extracted the contents of the archive using WinRAR, but I am having trouble running the file Setup.exe.  It seems to be a problem related to Adobe Acrobat 7.0, which I just downloaded from the Adobe website, after uninstalling and deleting my old version of Acrobat.  From what I can tell, Acrobat freezes when opening the file Install/protext-install-en.pdf.  When I double-click on Setup.exe, a dialog box opens asking what language I would like to use.  When I click Next, Acrobat opens, but then freezes without opening any file.  When I go directly to the Install folder and double-click on the protext-install-en.pdf file, Acrobat opens and freezes before opening the file.  The same thing happens when I go to http://www.tug.org/protext/ftp/Install/, download the protext-install-en.pdf file to my harddrive and then try to open it in Acrobat.  Wh
> n I click on the link to open it directly in my browser (Internet Explorer 6.0), the browser window freezes.
>
> I'm doubtful that this is an Acrobat issue because I am able to open other PDFs, such as my unrelated personal files, and also other PDF files in the proTeXt distribution, such as doc/lshort.pdf.  The only files that I seem to be having problems with are in the Install folder.

hmm, sounds strange. You could try to open protext-install-en.pdf, by
starting the Reader first and do it using the 'File' -> 'Open' sequence,
but i'm afraid this will also end in freezing the Acrobat.

Therefore: What happens if you try to open the protext-install-en.pdf,
i've attached to this mail? If this works, you can try to replace the
one inside the Install-Directory and restart the setup.

Good luck - Thomas