[protext] package missing in the small and large installation of miktex

Klaus Hoeppner klaus at dante.de
Tue Feb 7 19:00:04 CET 2006

Hi,

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>     \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>     \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>     \usepackage[a4paper]{geometry}
>     \usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
>
>     \begin{document}
>     Bonjour tout le monde!
>     \end{document}
 > while the compilation the package latin1 was loaded
> , fine !   but the visualisation by gsview show me a blank page   I
> solve this problem by installing le package cm-super in the type1 font

What happens in YAP?
Since the difference in running the example through latex and dvips with
and without cm-super installed is that Metafont has to create PK files
for EC fonts in the second case, I'm quite sure it is the bug described
in http://www.tug.org/protext/bugs.html as #2.

> I have tried the installation of miktex with the option large : same
> problem !   should  it be possible to include the installation of this
> package in the default installation ?

I wouldn't do it. There exist better PS type 1 fonts for use in TeX with
T1 encoding meanwhile, e.g. LM, Fourier, FPL, ... compared to the
autotraced cm-super fonts. From my point of view cm-super is more or
less obsolete, nothing I would drop completely in the moment, but
nothing I would install by default.

Regards
Klaus