[protext] Installation problem ...\samplefiles\check.pdf missing

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Mon Feb 6 15:06:37 CET 2006

Hi,

Tom Trippe wrote:
> On 1/27/06 I downloaded protext.exe from the website
> http://www.tug.org/protext/ to my Windows XT machine, ran it and
> attempted to install using the pdf:
>  > C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.7.8_2005051112\ProTeXt\Install\protext-install-en.pdf
>
> Half way through, I got the error message:
>  > Program
> files\Common\Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.7.8_2005051112\ProTeXt\MikTeX\texmf\doc\latex\interactiveworkbook\samplefiles\check.pdf
> not available.

wow, sounds very strange.

> I found this file one directory up at  ...\interactiveworkbook\check.pdf
> .  I copied this and all other files (but not directories) from
> ...\interactiveworkbook\  to ...\interactiveworkbook\samplefiles\ after
> which the installation worked correctly.

hmm, for my part i have serveral questions:

- Why did you unpack the ProTeXt-exe under a working-directory of your
local Mozilla-Installation?

- While ProTeXt is only a collection of several independent software
pieces? At which part of the installation process did this error occur?
Which means, did you install MiKTeX, WinEdt, ... ?

Thanks for your answer - Thomas