[protext] reply to answer to query

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at fernuni-hagen.de
Tue Oct 25 16:19:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

Antoine Gualtierotti schrieb:

> Thank you very much for answering my query. Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Following your hint I opened the Dos command window in WinEdt.
>   I got c:\book1.
>   I then typed as instructed  latex test.tex and got the following
> answer (translated
>   from French):
>   latex is not recognized as an internal or external command, nor as an
> executable program nor as a file of commands

hmm, this sounds as if the whole MiKTeX-System wasn't installed properly
on your system and therefore it can't be found. Perhaps you can proof
this with the following tests:

- Open Windows 'Start'-Menü and make sure that there is an entry
'MiKTeX' inside the 'Program'-section.

- If you can't locate the 'MiKTeX' entry, open the pdf booklet again and
install MiKTeX by clicking on "Click here to install MiKTeX" on page 10.
Be sure you have noticed the instructions beginning on page 7.

> I have Windows XP and installed the system from the pdf booklet "An
> entire TEX environment"
> (Click here to install ... ) according to which WinEdt gets installed
> after MikTex has been. However I had to wait before I could try the
> system as I had to get a WinEdt licence. Installation went without a
> glitch.

WinEdt's license is not needed necessary, while you could use
TeXnicCenter instead of WinEdt. Last not least WinEdt can be used the
first 30 days as evaluation product.

Good luck - Thomas