[protext] REVTeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 30 15:38:41 CET 2005

Hi Lloyd,

    I am looking for a TeX system which would run REVTeX for use in
    submitting documents for publication by the Acoustical Society of Am.

Happy to hear it :).

    Should I have proTeXt as well?

If you've installed miktex and are happy with it, there's no need to
worry about protext.  miktex includes revtex.

Protext adds an easier installation and couple extra programs to miktex,
that's all.

    I must admit I do not quite understand the relationships
    between LaTEX and REVTeX.  Are these both TeX packages?

Yes.

    Are they compatible, mutually exclusive, mutually inclusive, ...  ???

LaTeX is a (very large) package built on top of the basic TeX program.
RevTeX is then built on top of LaTeX.

Here is one page which briefly explains the relationship:
  http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/techpubs/help/textproc/larevtex.html
(it mentions revtex 3.1, but actually revtex4 is current, it seems.)

Hope this helps.  Let us know if still stuck.  (I hope the revtex
documentation will explain how to actually use revtex!)

Cheers,
karl