[protext] English proTeXt pdf instructions

Christopher P. Sagovac sagovacc at gailweiss.com
Sun Jan 30 17:45:33 CET 2005

Hi,

First -- *thank you* to everyone who put this all together -- it is so
much easier and cleaner than previous installs.  It's just fantastic
what you've all done.

I see that the known bugs list at http://tug.org/protext/bugs.html
contains corrections to the letter paper documentation information
regarding dvips.

tmoore (back in December) also mentioned the dvipdfm/dvipdfmx
instructions at the top of page 11, too:

Dvipdfm / Dvipdfmx : Using Notepad, edit or create the local
configuration files
ltt \dvipdfm\config and ltt \dvipdfm\dvipdfmx.cfg. Insert
this line at the beginning of each file:
p letter
After making these changes, update the filename database:
Start --> Programs --> MiKTeX --> MiKTeX Options --> Refresh now.

I would like to confirm that this section should read as follows:

Dvipdfm / Dvipdfmx : Using Notepad, edit or create the local
configuration files
ltt \dvipdfm\config\dvipdfm.cfg and ltt \dvipdfm\config\dvipdfmx.cfg.
Insert
this line at the beginning of each file:
p letter
After making these changes, update the filename database:
Start --> Programs --> MiKTeX --> MiKTeX Options --> Refresh now.

In other words, the line

"ltt \dvipdfm\config and ltt \dvipdfm\dvipdfmx.cfg. Insert"

should have been

"ltt \dvipdfm\config\dvipdfm.cfg and ltt \dvipdfm\config\dvipdfmx.cfg.
Insert"

I'm not sure that this is correct, but it makes sense based on my local
configuration folder/file structure.  I would appreciate it if someone
could tell me for sure!

Also, the last point on page 5 states that if you have already licensed
WinEdt, the Windows Registry entry will be retained when it is
uninstalled.  I was a licensed user and after uninstalling WinEdt on my
workstation the registration information was *not* retained; I had to
re-enter my license info after installing WinEdt from the proTeXt CD.
Thank goodness for Google desktop.

Chris Sagovac