[protext] protext install - not so easy :(

tmoore tmoore at student.umass.edu
Thu Dec 16 03:53:41 CET 2004

the install instructions are not easy to understand.  starting at :
1.3.3 Highly needed postinstalling steps, (pg 11 in the english install
pdf) I was unable to follow the directions to do the following:

Dvips : (a) Copy the file dvips\config.ps from the main installation (I
couldn't find this file)
folder to the local TEXMF tree.
(b) Using Notepad, edit the new local file ltt \dvips\config.ps.   (thus
I couldn't continue)
Insert this line at the beginning of the file:
@ letterSize 8.5in 11in
Dvipdfm / Dvipdfmx : Using Notepad, edit or create the local
configuration files
ltt \dvipdfm\config and ltt \dvipdfm\dvipdfmx.cfg. Insert
this line at the beginning of each file:
p letter
After making these changes, update the filename database:
Start ! Programs ! MiKTeX ! MiKTeX Options ! Refresh now.

I don't know if your instructions need to be updated, or if there was a
file missing from the download image, but I was unable to complete the
install... It sounded like a good system tho...

I found this site that I was able to follow and get a tex system up and
running on my pc.
http://student.dcu.ie/~mcmahon4/WinTeX.html

the instructions are not real pretty, but it walks you through setting
up WinShell and GSView, along with the DVI viewer etc... and it was easy
to set up and run.  (now I just need to learn LaTeX :) )

you may also want to recommend a free LaTex editor like jEdit, available
at jedit.org (use the LaTex plugin(s) ) for those of us that prefer free
software...

just sending my comments as a new user..

Tom Moore