[pdftex] pdftex manual LaTeX conversion for 2024

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 7 22:49:34 CET 2024

Hello pdfTeX users - for 2024, I've converted the pdfTeX manual from
ConTeXt to LaTeX(*). The substantive content is nearly the same, but I
did do some small updates throughout, and tried to update some of the
intro text.

In case anyone feels like looking through it, the current PDF is
attached (A4 size). Comments/suggestions/bugs/etc. are welcome.
This version will be released with TL24 in (fingers crossed) March.

For now, the sources are committed to branches/stable in the pdftex
repo, and can be browsed here:
https://tug.org/svn/pdftex/branches/stable/doc/manual/
--thanks, karl.

(*) Explanation as to why: I have nothing against (the remarkable)
ConTeXt, but the manual was written for ConTeXt MkII using (naturally)
pdftex, and when TL23 was released, ConTeXt MkII had been removed (just
a couple weeks ago, it was restored, but by then I had already done the
work). Updating the manual to the current ConTeXt could have been done,
but that would have meant using the luametatex engine, and since the
manual is about pdftex, it only makes sense to process it with pdfTeX.