[pdftex] compilation question

Samuel Ainsworth skainsworth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 06:10:27 CEST 2018

I’m trying to compile pdftex from scratch but a lot of documentation seems to be out of date. The manual linked to on the home page (https://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/pdftex/manual/pdftex-a.pdf <https://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/pdftex/manual/pdftex-a.pdf>) indicates that there should a “build-pdftex.sh” script somewhere, but there’s no such file in the TexLive 2018 sources (downloaded from ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2018/texlive-20180414-source.tar.xz). Some googling turned up some sources on CTAN, but it sounds like that’s deprecated now?

I tried following the “Build one package" instructions (https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/tlbuild.html#Build-one-package <https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/tlbuild.html#Build-one-package>) using the package “pdftex” instead of "dvipdfm-x” in the example. These instructions also reference build-pdftex.sh… oh well. Anyways I was able to get the rest of the instructions to run just fine but unfortunately I can’t actually find the pdftex package or executable anywhere afterwards.

What should I be doing here to actually build pdftex?

Thanks,
Samuel