[pdftex] Type 1 font problem

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Jan 23 18:17:20 CET 2018

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, The Thanh Han wrote:
>
>> It could also be a problem/bug of pdftex.​
>>
>> Can you please try to turn off font subsetting, so that the fonts are
>> embedded entirely?
>
> I did think of that point: I reset pdftex.map to turn off
> subsetting, but it didn't help with the PDF display via freetype2
> 2.9 and the "adobe" engine.

Another finding that suggests pdftex is blameless. If I compile the
TeX source with latex and view the DVI using xdvik I see the same
thing:

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="type1:hinting-engine=adobe" xdvi test.dvi

gives corrupted results while

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="type1:hinting-engine=freetype" xdvi test.dvi

works fine.

I've submitted a freetype2 bug at savannah.

Allin Cottrell