[pdftex] Correction to pdftex-a.pdf

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:02:32 CET 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> Hi Gernot,
>
>     Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 14:01:30 +0900
>     "If the fontflags field is not given, pdfTEX treats it as being 4, a
>     symbolic font."
>     Problem: 4 is script font, symbolic font is 3 according to Table 3.

Hello Karl,

> Coming back to this: actually, both the documentation and the code are
> correct, if not a model of clarity. Table 3 shows bit positions, not
> decimal values. The decimal value "4" means that bit position 3 is set
> -> symbolic font.

Whew, sorry I could not grok that correctly, thanks for checking that.
Glad to know it is correct, and that it is merely my comprehension
that was faulty.

> What was omitted from the manual is that this is the default for
> embedded fonts. For non-embedded fonts (not that anyone should be using
> those), the default is 0x22.
>
> I added a few more words of description.  --thanks, karl.

Many thanks! It is tough work to put out a manual (also tough to read
it, from a different viewpoint), very happy I could help to improve it
even just a little.
Best regards,
Gernot