[pdftex] pdftex - Encoding for metafont PK fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 28 02:22:58 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-26 at 23:25:30 +0000, Ross Moore wrote:

 > $ grep csb `kpsewhich pdftex.map` | grep -v fcsb | grep -v TeXGyre
 > | grep -v Roman

Dear Ross,
the many invocations of grep -v are not necessary anymore.

It always bothered me a lot in the past that it was nearly impossible
to find out where all these entries in psfonts.map an pdftex.map come
from.

When I adapted the updmap Perl script which Fabrice wrote for Windows
in order to make it work on all platforms, I couldn't resist to
provide a log file which hopefully makes life easier.

In order to locate the log file, just run updmap[-sys] and the
location of the log file is printed to screen.

It's usually

  TEXMFSYSVAR/web2c/updmap.log (updmap-sys)

or

  TEXMFVAR/web2c/updmap.log (updmap)

The log file contains lines like

 /path/to/csfonts.map:

followed by TFM names, like

 csb10
 csbx10
 csbx12

I deliberately removed everything from the map entries except the TFM
names on order to keep the file small.  TFM names have to be unique
anyway.

In order to determine where the mapfile entry "csr10" comes from,
search for "csr10" in the log file and then search backwards for a
line ending with a colon.

And since files like

  texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cs/csfonts.map

are copied to the map files used by dvips and pdftex, it's much easier
to consult these files instead of scanning the derived files and make
heavy use of grep -v.

It's a pity that only very few people are aware of the updmap log file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de