[pdftex] pdftex core dump when including certain pdf files

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Jul 19 07:45:15 CEST 2016

> Werner, if file size matters

It's not only file size!  Accessing the disc for writing unnecessarily
large files is also time consuming.

Just in case I was unclear: The PDFs without fonts we would like to
generate (hopefully soon) are an intermediate step only; such PDFs are
not intended for actually being viewed but to speed up the creation of
a master PDF (with embedded fonts) that includes the font-less PDFs.

> it's certainly worthwhile to investigate what ghostscript can do for
> you.

I have no idea what you mean here, please elaborate.  Note that
ghostscript is *not* capable to merge various subsetted fonts back to
a single one: too much information is already lost during the
subsetting process.

> This program is amazing.  But whom do I tell it?

:-)

    Werner