[pdftex] pdftex - Support for Type3 fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Aug 5 00:04:08 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-04 at 10:33:07 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

 > > Ok thank you for answer. As I understand you Type3 fonts are not
 > > supported by pdftex.
 >
 > IIRC this is wrong: Bitmap fonts (e.g. Metafont fonts) _are_
 > converted to Type3 fonts and work with PDF. So at least _some_ kind
 > of Type3 fonts are supported (or generated by pdfTeX).

Thinking about the issue again, I fear that what I said in a former
message was wrong.  In order to *insert* a Type3 font into a PDF
file, no PostScript interpreter is needed, of course.

The Type3 format doesn't support hinting, hence Type3 fonts always
look extremely ugly at low resolutions.  I suppose that FontForge can
convert Type3 to Type1 and apply hints automatically.

Is there any reason not to go this way?  The conversion has to be done
only once.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25