[pdftex] Another request for an enhancement to pdf(La)TeX

André Wobst wobsta at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:25:34 CEST 2010

Am 26.10.2010 um 15:02 schrieb Martin Schröder:

> 2010/10/26 André Wobst <lists at wobsta.de>:
>> It would be nice to have a streamable TeX processor (input and output both being streams).
>
> Note that PDF as is is not meant to be streamed; even linearized PDF
> technically doesn't really allow appending content to a finished PDF.
> So really getting streamable PDF would probably not work with Adobe
> Reader but need a special viewer.

That is a valid point. I'm aware that PDF viewers need to seek in the PDF file both for regular and for linearized PDF. However, I do have a server and client setup in mind where I generate the PDF on the server and transport it to the client using HTTP chunked transfer encoding. (The PDF might not even be displayed on the client. Still I could stream the PDF while it is generated.)

André

--
Dr. André Wobst * wobsta at gmail.com * http://www.wobsta.de/
PyX: PostScript and PDF figures with Python & TeX (http://pyx.sourceforge.net/)