[pdftex] Paper format - PDF

Gerree Pecht gerree at math.princeton.edu
Wed Jan 20 16:30:07 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
>
>> 2010/1/20 Jan Öhman <Jan_Ohman at glocalnet.net>:
>>> (I don't know where to find examples and manuals)...
>>
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pdftex+manual
>
> ;-)
>
>> http://www.pdftex.org
>>
>>> How can I:
>>> - Change the orientation of the paper (from A4 portrait to landscape).
NOTE:  I haven't used this for some time but I believe it may still
work... TO TYPESET the ENTIRE document in LANDSCAPE ORIENTATION, use the
documentclass[landscape] option:

\documentclass[landscape]{article}
\special{landscape}
\begin{document}
.... This entire document (including headers and footers) is in landscape
orientation.
\end{document} ...

Another way ... Note ... the landscape package is designed for PORTRAIT
documents which need some pages in LANDSCAPE orientation... This is
especially useful for wide tables and figures which do not fit on a
portrait page.
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lscape}
\begin{document}
When the lscape package is used, the document starts out in normal
portrait mode.  The \vert+\begin{landscape}+ command starts a
landscape environment which starts a new package and changes the document
into landscape orientation.

\begin{landscape}
.. When the document is in landscape mode, only the text is rotated.  The
HEADERS and FOOTERS (if any) remain in portrait orientation.  In this
example, the page number remains in portrait orientation.
\end{landscape}

The \verb+\end{landscape}+ command ENDS the langscape environment, starts
a new page, and returns the document to portrait orientation.

\end{document}

>>> - Control the margins (I want a printable area to 10mm from the edges).
>>> - Incorporate a "print date" or "change/create date" in the document
Hello ... at the end of my .tex file (last page) I usually include the
following:

\vfill
\noindent
\today:gpp ... this puts the date/day the file was last worked on ...
\end{document}

\today puts the date ... the :gpp are initials of the person who did the
typesetting of the work ...

A current date will appear each time the file is run through LaTeX

Of course you can always comment-out the \today and place the date
manually on the title page if you do not want the date to change each time
the file is edited and run through LaTex.

  >>> - Selecting the font? - What name should be
listed?

Include in your preamble the following:
\documentclass[leqno,12pt]{article}

\usepackage[dvips]{graphics}

\usepackage{epsfig}

\usepackage{graphicx}

\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm, amssymb, ulem}

>>> (Is it the filename on the font file or the font name in Windows?)
>>> - Give the font an color
A COLOR PACKAGE CAN BE ADDED TO YOUR PREAMBLE ...

... I hope this is of some help to you ... I work on LINUX Systems and I'm
not certain that any of the above information is useful to you.

I hope so.

Best,

Gerree :-)

--

Gerree P. Pecht
Princeton University Mathematics Department