[pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Jan 19 10:19:55 CET 2010

On  18 Jan, 2010, at 13:20, John Culleton wrote:

> [...]
>
> In the USA several major POD (digital) printer prefer or insist on
> PDF/X-1a:2001, such as the largest, LSI, but also 360 Digital Books.  Baker
> and Taylor's new digital service Textstream prefers pdf 1.4.  So these should
> be ready options for TL 2010.

As it is today, you can't get a PDF/X-1a:2001 compliant PDF with pdfTeX either.

I managed to get a 100% PDF/X-1a:2001 compliant PDF (a 720 pages book with hundreds of graphics) using the excellent pdfx.sty (thank you so much, CV Radhakrishnan and Han The Thanh!). After some trial and error, I found the best loading order to be

\documentclass{book}%
\usepackage[10pt]{type1ec}%        <- I use Greek
\usepackage{verse}
\usepackage[x-1a]{pdfx}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}[2006/03/24]%

and a long, long preamble follows.

Most of the time spent achieving this, was changing several Illustrator graphics that weren't OK for PDF/X-1a (TikZ graphics were fine).

So I definitely vote YES for pdf 1.5 as the default for TL 2010 ---it has many advantages for common use, and, if we need pdf 1.3 or whatever, we can always resort to \pdfminorversion or pdfx.sty.

Best,

Axel