[pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 21:42:31 CET 2010

John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> As I have mentioned before some printers require pdf x/1a:2001, particularly
> for cover art and cover interiors.  This more limited standard should be
> available as an "easy" option for pdftex, pdflatex, Context etc.  So a pdftex
> primitive would be the handiest choice.  There is a somewhat complex pdfLaTeX
> macro  \pdfx plus support files that will convert the file to pdf x/1a but I
> have in mind something much simpler, a one-liner like:
> \setpdfformat{x1a}
> with no auxiliary files needed.
>
> Alternatively a modified dvipdfm  program would suffice and take the load off the
> main pdftex program.

as you've been told before, "there ought to be" doesn't really
constitute much of a development strategy.  (especially in a program
that's now frozen apart from bug fixes.)

is there some development effort you have up your sleeve?

(i see no sign that dvipdfm is being developed, either.  perhaps
dvipdfmx. but i don't know.)

robin