[pdftex] \pdfelapsedtime

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 2 02:03:51 CEST 2010

Hi,
I reported the problem already but I can provide further information
now.

In pdftex 1.40.9 \pdfelapsedtime worked as expected and returned the
time in scaled seconds, i.e. multiples of 2^{-16} s.

pdftex 1.40.10 returns the time in scaled seconds too, but I wondered
why I get values like

  262144
  262144
  262144
  262144
  327680
  262144
  327680
  327680

though it's almost impossible that doing something particular takes
exactly the same amount of time on a system where other jobs are
running in the background.  I now found out that all these numbers are
multiples of 2^{16}.  In other words, in pdftex 1.40.10 the resolution
is actually one second.  This becomes more obvious if you convert
scaled seconds to seconds:

   {\catcode`\p=12 \catcode`\t=12 \gdef\STRIPPT#1pt{#1}}

   \dimen0=\number\pdfelapsedtime sp
   \message{\expandafter\STRIPPT\the\dimen0 }

It worked perfectly in 1.40.9 already.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25