[pdftex] typesetting Hàn Thế Thành's name in pdfTeX

Paulo Ney de Souza desouza at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Mar 27 02:16:51 CET 2009

Dear Reinhard,

I guess you did not read my e-mail very carefully, either that or there
is a barrier of language here. Let me explain some of the points in a
bit more detail!

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 26 March 2009 Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:
>
>  > Is it possible to typeset Hàn Thế Thành name using full UTF-8 input in
>  > pdfTeX, that is, without gimmicks in the accent on the letter "e" ?
>
> In LaTeX you can simply say
>
>   \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc
>
> and use UTF-8 in your document.

That in itself will not do it, as explained by Ross Moore in the
previous mailing in the thread. You need to load "babel" to get the
right encoding.

>  > I can see that his name is not properly accented in some of the original
>  > documentation written by himself:
>
> I doubt that it's written by himself.

He seems to have - see the next e-mail in the thread!

>  > and that some other documentation:
>  >
>  >       http://sarovar.org/docman/view.php/106/64/pdftex-a.pdf.pdf
>  >
>  > barely accentuates it properly:
>  >
>  >      \def\THANH{H\`an Th\^e\llap{\raise 0.5ex\hbox{\'{}}} Th\`anh}
>
> I think that the Vietnamese stuff on Sarovar is completely obsolete.

I am sorry it is not! Go to the TUG page on pdftex and you will see it
is the current version of the manual for pdfTeX.

> Use VnTeX instead.  The proper way to write Thanh's name is
>
>   \def\THANH{H\`an Th\'\ecircumflex{} Th\`anh}

My question is how to write it in UTF-8 and get the proper TeX output.

> See also:
>
>   http://ctan.org/tex-archive/language/vietnamese/vntex/doc/generic/vntex/vn-min.pdf
>
>  > The rules of accentuation in Vietnamese say the marks are supposed to be
>  > vertically centered, on top of each other - which is definitely not the
>  > case in the macro above...
>  >
>  >      http://pjm.math.berkeley.edu/users/paulo/Snap1.gif
>
> You certainly mean *horizontally* centered.  No no no, accents in
> Vienamese are ***never*** horizontally centered.  The macro you
> mention provides reasonable output.  Please consult:
>
>   http://vntex.sf.net/fonts/samples/vnr-sample.pdf
>
> The vnr fonts had been created by Thanh himself.  Regard them as a
> reference.

Yes, the fonts have excellent accentuation - very well done!

> I had been in Viet Nam twice and as a long-standing TeX user I have
> open eyes for these little details.  I've never seen that Vietnamse
> place accents as in "Snap1.gif".
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Well! "Snap1.gif" is FROM Han's documentation!!!!

Paulo Ney