[pdftex] Bug report / suggestion

Thomas Werner wernerth at mi.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Sep 3 11:59:45 CEST 2008

Dear recipients of this message,

at first, I'd like to thank you for all your work and effort.

Recently I encountered a very annoying difficulty in using latex.
There is nothing bad about this and I do not consider this a bug.

The option '-output-format=dvi' is ignored, when [pdftex] is used
in the preamble of the input file.

Is it possible to make pdfTeX tell the user that (t)his option is
ignored, because it contradicts the information of the input file?
As far as I have seen in the command line output and the log-file,
this is not mentioned by the tex-compiler.

I would have appreciated such a hint from pdfTeX very much, since
the information 'Output witten on whatever.pdf' in the described
situation just means, that the output (somehow) does not have the
intended format.

Best regards,
Thomas Werner

Additional information:

latex -v returned:
pdfTeX using libpoppler 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)

A minimal example is attached to this message.