[pdftex] Incorrect pdf produced from a single correct pdf file

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:00:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

I join this thread a bit late. Anyway, I find some comments
interesting:

,--------
`--------

,--------
`--------

,--------
| On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 07:26:22PM +0200, Andreas Matthias wrote:
| > Actually, this is exactly what he did but it produced a corrupt pdf
| > on his side. So he contacted me but I could not reproduce it. That's
| > why I told him to post the above plain TeX example, which is the
| > smallest possible example I could make that's running perfectly
| > well on my side but produces a corrupt pdf on his side. Note that
| > I tried it with exactly the same pdftex version!
| >
| > I was curious to know if someone else on this list could reproduce this
| > problem. Olivier is running Debian and I know that there are other
| > people running Debian on this list.
`--------

I asked Olivier for a copy of his pdftex binary, and
ldd shows that the binary is indeed linked against libpoppler.

To verify, I installed debian lenny and texlive using
apt-get (that's Olivier's platform), and built pdftex 1.40.3 on
from sources that platform. The "stock" pdftex gave the same
problem as described here, and pdftex built from sources
works fine. So, this seems to be a distro-specific problem.

This "xpdf vs libpoppler" story is already known to most of
us. Those who want to know more about this can do a google
search on "pdftex xpdf libpoppler".

Regards,
Thanh