[pdftex] ttf2afm suggested feature

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:39:44 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:58:17PM +0400, Лидовский Владимир wrote:
> Thank you also for help with enc-file. However the nature of the problem is other. There is no common t2a.enc! One cyrillic letter glyphs can have different names in the different fonts, e.g., the letter A may have name `Acyrillic', `afii10017', `uni0410', `U0410', and maybe other in the different fonts. So I ask about utility that can create t2a.enc and others for the arbitrary font.

I have t2a.enc on my disk, cannot recall where it comes
from. Anyway I send it here, in case someone is interested.
Also enclosed is t2a-uni.enc, it is the same as t2a.enc but
the names have been changed to form 'uni1234', so it can be
used with fonts that don't have the proper glyph names.

If you want to pick up the right glyphs from a ttf font,
the font must either:

- has the right glyph names (which is usually not the case
  for low-quality fonts), or

- has unicode support (you can use the font with unicode
  without any problem -- in ttf terms it has proper unicode
  cmap subtables). This is usually the case for most fonts.

If none of the above is met, it is still possible to get it
work with further hacks -- the simplest one would be
manually edit the enc file until it works. While it sounds
a bit tough, it is usually the most efficient way to get a
buggy font work.

HTH,
Thanh