[pdftex] Positioning graphic in header line.

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Tue Feb 5 20:11:18 CET 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, John Culleton wrote:

> On Monday 04 February 2008 07:29:12 pm John Culleton wrote:
> > I have a graphic representation that is a bit higher than the normal
> > typeface. I want to position this graphic in the verso page header line. I
> > am having trouble establishing the same baseline on recto and verso pages.
> > Here is what I have so far:
> > \pdfvorigin 1.500in
> > \headline={%
> > \iftitlepage \hfil\global\titlepagefalse \else
> > \global\footline{}
> > \gentleheadline \fi
> > }
> > \pdfximage{lean.png}
> > \def\gentleheadline{%
> > \ifodd\pageno
> >  \sl\authorname\hfil\bf\folio\rm
> >     \else
> >    \raise 1.7in\hbox{\bf\folio}\hfil\raise 1.7in\hbox{\pdfrefximage 1}\rm
> >     \fi
> > }
> > For some reason the more I raise the two components the lower they show on
> > the page.
> >
> > Parts of this code are obviously lifted from "A Gentle Introduction to
> > TeX."
> >
> > The actual vertical dimension of the graphic is .3 inches.  I just want the
> > headlines, left and right to have the same baselines.
>
> Following up on my own post, are there parameters I can add to a
> \pdfrefximage statement that will relocate the image up or down with
> reference to the current baseline? I use pdftex.

no.

One way is to let it ignore the picture height by wrapping it into a
\smash instead of \hbox, like \smash{\pdfrefximage 1}. If you want to
move stuff vertically without messing up the rest, write e. g.
\smash{\raise 20pt\hbox{\pdfrefximage 1}}.

(So it's more a plain TeX than a pdftex question.)

Regards, Hartmut