[pdftex] [CTAN] Update: animate

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at fzd.de
Fri Sep 21 14:07:56 CEST 2007

James,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:10:26PM -0700, James Quirk wrote:
>I've put together a test example:
>
>http://www.amrita-ebook.org/4adobe/screen-refresh/test1.pdf
>
>that you might care to look at with both AR7 and AR8. The difference
>between the two viewers is quite marked. It does not use animate,
>but it follows the same approach as the pre OCG version i.e. /Widget's
>are turned on an off to give the illusion of motion...

I cannot confirm this behaviour. On my rather recent hardware
  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz
there is no noticeable difference in the speed of your non-OCG animation
example between AR-7.0.9 and 8.1.1, while in the case of animate.sty
generated OCG animations the difference is quite marked.

>One novelty in
>this particular animation is that it can be dragged around the screen.
>This pseudo drag-and-drop functions quite nicely in AR7 but AR8
>it is a bit painful.
Although very impressing, I wonder whether there is a potential
application for this feature. What did you have in mind that you took
on its formidable implementation?

Alexander