[pdftex] making pdf document accessible using LaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 21:19:28 CET 2007

Hi Neil,

On 15/11/2007, at 5:39 AM, Neil Soiffer wrote:

>> By the way, I have been pointed to a developing NISO standard for
>> accessible maths, that would be similar to this with MathML, if I
>> understood well. A variation of Design Science's MathPlayer would
>> have
>> been able to read aloud such a PDF, including the maths read not
>> as ASCII
>> source, but as real maths.
>
> I think the standard you are referring to is the DAISY+MathML
> spec.  It is
> available at
> www.daisy.org/projects/mathml
>
> Another effort people might be interested in is PDF/UA (Universal
> Access).
> This AIIM committee that is working on developing an ISO standard for
> accessible PDF. See www.aiim.org/standards.asp?ID=27861.  Part of
> that work
> involves making sure that math in PDF is accessible.  It does this by
> tagging the math with MathML.

Back in 2002, I developed a method to include the TeX source of
mathematics
as popup text-fields in a PDF, generated by pdfLaTeX. As the mouse
tracks over
the displayed mathematics, a button appears to toggle show/hide of
the field.
Furthermore, the fields are searchable, so I added a simple search
widget,
and Javascript methods to implement searching.

I called this technique  serendiPDF , and showed an example at TUG
2002, India.
The attached PDF is the example that I used there.