[pdftex] [urban.simoncic at gmail.com: pdftex font size]

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jun 29 19:12:59 CEST 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 05:09, Oleg Katsitadze wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Urban Simoncic
> <urban.simoncic at gmail.com> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:14:18 -0500
> From: Urban Simoncic <urban.simoncic at gmail.com>
> To: pdftex-owner at tug.org
> Subject: pdftex font size
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I wonder to know how to set general font size for document, created
> by pdftex. I am new to pdftex, but I used latex for some time and I
> set general font size simply as option for \documentclass.
> Unfortunately, if I set \documentclass[a4paper, 13pt]{article} to
> pdftex, 13pt has no effect.
>
> Best Regards,
> Urban
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Each font you use has its own size, set when you describe the font. I
have a shortcut method for dealing with font sizes etc. in a file I
call fonts.tex:

\def\fontfam{bch}
\newdimen\fontsize
\fontsize=10pt
\baselineskip= 1.1\fontsize
\font\rm \fontfam r8r at \fontsize
\font\it \fontfam ri8r at \fontsize
\font\bo \fontfam b8r at \fontsize
\font\sl \fontfam bo8r at 1.1\fontsize
\font\sc 8r-bchr8a-capitalized-800 at 1.3\fontsize
\letterspacefont\ssc=\sc 200
\rm

I can change font family and size by manipulating lines 1 and 3 above.
The variable \fontfam is set as needed. I use bch for Charter, ppl for
Palatino, put for Utopia and so on. So the body font above resolves
to:
\font\rm bchr8r at 10pt
Baseline skip will be 11pt.

For a font different from the base family I just use a full font
statement, like the faux small caps \sc above, which I generated with
texfont and labeled \sc.

I find myself changing fonts and sizes with frequency so I use \font
statements as needed.

In general LaTeX makes the routine case easier and the more complex
ones a bit mysterious.  You can always use pdflatex instead of pdftex
of course.
--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors: