[pdftex] texi2dvi does not generate dvi on Debian Etch and MacOS X

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 09:58:59 CEST 2007

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> I just downloaded and compiled gforth, and indeed, it produces PDF.
> The reason is that it is accompanied by an old version of
> texinfo.tex.  If I remove it, a newer version I have on my system is
> used and I get DVI output.
>
> It doesn't work either,

how not?

> texinfo.tex seems to be a moving target and it
> always causes headaches.

texinfo seems to me (as an archivist) to be really rather stable.  there
_has_ been a release this last month, but the previous release (in
tex-live) has the correct pdf test.

one presumes that the gforth distributors are (buggily) distributing an
archaic version of texinfo.  why they bother is an interesting question:
who nowadays has tex without texinfo?

robin