[pdftex] struggling to get started with pdftex on solaris8

Mark Sandford j.m.sandford at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 14:58:22 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this, so sorry if questions are very basic.

I'm attempting to install pdflatex as a standalone package on solaris 8.
I've downloaded the source and it's compiled fine but I haven't managed to
successfully create a pdftex.fmt (or pdflatex.fmt or pdfetex.fmt).

Hunting around the various suggestions to do this include:
fmutil --refresh (which I can't find as part of pdflatex)
pdftex -ini pdflatex.ini (but we're missing the ini file, the related tex
file, and all the related config files usually in the texmf tree of the
tetex package)

Am I supposed to be able to create the pdftex.fmt file, just with the pdftex
download package, or must this always be used in conjunction with tetex?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark Sandford
email: j.m.sandford at hotmail.co.uk