[pdftex] Font (embedding) problem

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 12 03:05:46 CEST 2007

Hi Reinhard,

How did Marcel create the subsets?  I imagine that pdftex was
responsible for the real subsetting; that the lcdf-typetools simply
created the initial font.

Any subset should remove any /UniqueID and Private /UniqueID, then alter
the font's /XUID array, usually by appending numbers to it that are a
fingerprint of the subset.  All modern printers will do the right thing
with /XUID.  If you don't modify /XUID, you should remove it.

The specs say that two distinct fonts must not have the same /XUID (or
/UniqueID, if /XUID doesn't exist).  Otherwise printers are allowed to
do horrible things.  (Fonts with different /Encoding vectors or
/FontMatrix manipulations may have the same UniqueID without problems.)

The lcdf-typetools that alter glyphs, such as mmpfb, already fixed /XUID
and killed /UniqueID.  **EXCEPT** that I totally forgot t1dotlessj,
which creates a dotless-j glyph font, and didn't change the UniqueID
there.  Now I do (in version 2.62).

Eddie