[pdftex] pdftex deterministic?

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Apr 3 11:41:27 CEST 2007

Martin Schröder schrieb:

>> 55,548,815 x 39,158,279 pixels ca. 247 TB per page b/w.  I couldn't
>> afford that.  Could resolutions smaller than 4,736,287 dpi be sufficient
>> to get reliable results?
>
> Yes. :-)
>
> 300dpi is usually good enough.

When I did some tests with graphical diffs some time ago I found that
even 150 dpi is enough to spot differences in new font versions (my
tests included Antykwa Torunska, Iwona, Kurier and Latin Modern).  But
is that a reliable indicator for testing the output of different pdftex
versions?  Minor differences won't be noticed as long as you're not
using a resolution of 1sp, IMHO.  It's a convenient tool for
automatically spotting major bugs, nevertheless.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig